Thursday, August 2, 2007

bored to death

These are my first days living in "the South." This has been my first week in Roanoke. I've gone on my first hikes along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Taken my first drives down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Last night was my first time instant messaging. And today is the first day in a very, very long time that I woke up with nothing to do. Thus, I blog. Which is not nearly as difficult as I expected it would be.

Tomorrow I have my first day at my new restaurant job. And next week I have my first day at my new teaching job.

Up until today, I've been riding the thrill of discovery. I discovered her...

...and her...


I've gone on some amazing day hikes (Dragon's Teeth, Apple Orchard Falls Trail and Cornelius Creek Circuits, a few on Peaks of Otter) and have been privileged to some breathtaking views.
But I'm starting to feel guilty being in charge of all this free time. I'm ready to get on with it. Ready for my next first days.

2 comments:

Gordon Nicholds said...

Hey! Great to know that you're alive and kicking, however feebly. Congrats on the new life; you've got stones, sister.

Congrats on the blog, it's exciting for us all to have a window into the compelling and peripatetic life of th e legendary MH!

Keep up the posts, and keep your pimp hand strong...

Bethany said...

Hey! How the heck did the infamous Gordon Nicholds find his way to this blog?

And why am I not cool enough to have any idea what "keepin' your pimp hand strong" means?