Sunday, August 5, 2007

Making Friends

So I made it through my first days of waitressing unscathed. The guy who trained me is extremely cool, and I look forward to working with him in the future. We share many interests and had oodles to talk and laugh about while we worked. (oodles?) He's studying to become a Kabbalah teacher. I don't even know what that means exactly, but it's something no one else I know does. So that makes it interesting. Maybe I'll do it, too. I could moonlight as a Kabbalah teacher. For spending money.

My neighbors are all fabulous, too. In fact, last night we hung out on the porch and talked into the wee hours of the morning. All the typical topics - spirituality, nature vs. nurture, the sports guy who got caught fighting pitbulls (WTF, by the way?), the Goodwill, music we heard while riding in our parents' car when we were little.

I mean - Roanoke. Who knew?! Another reminder that there are lots of good people everywhere.

We came up with this idea. It's an assignment, really. And I challenge you, my 3 loyal readers, to complete this assignment as well. You have to make your life's soundtrack. You're limited to 12 songs. My neighbors are going to do it and then exchange CDs. It'll be fun. Do it.

So today, I hiked McAfee Knob. It's actually a 3.5 mile section of the Appalachian Trail - so you hike 3.5 miles to the knob thing and then back. Whatever. Point is, it's a good hike. Here's some pics of the types of guys you can expect to see hanging around up there.



Not the types of guys you probably think of when you picture yourself hiking the AT. I know. But hey, it's time the deer and black bear share the spot light a little bit. The bugs and lizards are representin'.

Ugh. Anyway. Ok so here's a pic of the view:


And a pic of my gross lunch:


It didn't satisfy. It melted, first of all. So I probably had it all over my face. Which is probably why that lizard is looking at me all suspicious.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I love that you have an ad for "stun gun self defense" on your page right now.

Gordon Nicholds said...

OK, so I'm going to start the disc today. It seems a propitious day for such activity, since I drank 437 vodka/lemonades last night (but at 99 cents each, how can you not?). I reckon that to make the CD more meaningful I'm gonna include a line or two about why the song is significant. I challenge y'all to do the same! Then what, we're mailing them to Roanoke? Fun challenge!